Sub 60 Striders

We are group 14 in Abes Army, which is a training program for Abes Amble, a 10k in Aug in Springfield, IL

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

what heat wave????


Great job last night for those who could make it!!! It was a hot night, but we had a good run even with the heat. I was expecting our times to fall off more but as you can see from the screenshot our average time was still only 10:30 /mile. I stopped the clock at the cemetery, but left it running when we stopped at my car. My car would have been about 1.4 miles and about 2.5 miles. Any time you are out in heat like that just make sure to have cold water and to stop every so often. Even if you don't want to stop, you need to let your body cool down. Pouring water over your head, and pressing a cold bottle against your carotid artery (in your neck) are good ways to bring your internal temp down.

Just make sure you don't overdo it this week. It should be hot until Saturday. They are forecasting highs in the 70's for Sat. It will be a great day to do the 6-6.5 miles.

Just a reminder, there are groups that meet at the grandstand to run the abes amble course on saturdays at 7 am. I know we haven't done the whole course, but you've seen most of it and that is a great way to get your long run in. There are also lots of people that meet at Panera on the west side. They start at 7, 7:30 and 8 I think. I've not run there, but I've been told that there are a wide range of runners with different paces that run there.

For those of you who couldn't make it, we are going to meet at Lincoln Park next week. We'll meet at the shelter on the west side (close to the cemetery) where they had everybody meet for the first Abes Army night. We'll start there and run into the cemetery doing the loop that goes around the monuments and then probably back into the park to get the rest of the miles. Whatever the route, you're going to see the rest of the course. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and it won't be so hot.

Stay safe and try to stay out of the heat.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so excited, this is my first comment! i want to do a longer sat run. is there a break down for sat. panera group. like i think the 8:00 am group would be best for my sleeping schedule. anyone interested? becky

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so excited, this is my first comment! i want to do a longer sat run. is there a break down for sat. panera group. like i think the 8:00 am group would be best for my sleeping schedule. anyone interested? becky

8:57 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Becky:

Not sure how many people are running from Panera this week...a lot of folks are either running the Abe's course or running the Lost Bridge Trail...and those are folks who would usually run from Panera.

I say get up early and meet us at 7:00 a.m. at the Fairgrounds. We had a ton of people out there last week with a wide-range of paces. It's light by 5:30 am now anyway, so there's no reason to be wasting the day away!!

But if you want to run later, it did look like there were people starting later than 7:00 a.m. last week. I usually keep the water out at the entrance to the cemetery for several hours, so there will be water if you start later.

Stay cool!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I'd do it with you becky, but I usually run on Sunday before church and will probably be working on my fence this Sat. I couldn't really tell you anything more than what Tim said. Sundays I usually get going somewhere between 6:30 - 7:30. I'll be doing 11 miles on Sun so I need almost 2 hours before I have to get ready for church, but you're welcome to do the first 6 or so with me. Just let me know.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, i think i'll try 7:00 at fairgrounds. many more to pace with. thanks, becky

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be back Tuesday. Run from Lincoln park is a great idea. Sorry to miss the social, will make the next one for sure.

Bill

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home