Sub 60 Striders

We are group 14 in Abes Army, which is a training program for Abes Amble, a 10k in Aug in Springfield, IL

Monday, August 14, 2006

Some thoughts.....

I went for my weekend run yesterday and because of some longer than normal partying Saturday I was unable to do the run Sunday morning at 6 am. I was finally able to work it into my schedule at 6 pm Sunday. I had planned to run 14 miles, but because it was hotter than I normally run I was going to wait and see what happened.

Well I got started and it took me 2 miles to settle into an easy long run pace. I thought for sure I was a goner. I had plenty of GU packets with me so I took them at a 50 min interval just like they should be taken. Now, I thought that since it was hotter, and I hadn't hydrated very well, and I was tired that I wouldn't be able to make the 14 miles as planned. But man was I mistaken. I got to 5 miles or so and took my first GU. I'd been drinking every mile or so just like I would be during a race, but I wasn't stopping since I have that tube thingy I wear. I just kept going at an easy pace, trying to keep it at 10:30 /min. When I got to 9.5 miles I took another GU since I knew I would need it to finish the rest of the miles, and since it was easily accessible from the pocket of my belt I just kept running while I ate it. Now this is pretty easy to do since its like honey anyway, you just have to suck it out of the packet.

As it turns out, I was able to keep running until 11 miles. At that point I stopped and walked for 2 minutes, then picked up running again and ran until 14 miles. I ended up finishing 14 miles in 2:27:03 (10:30 pace). Man was I surprised!! 11 miles non-stop!

Now... I'm telling you this to make a point to not get stuck in a rut, and to try new things. I thought that I would do better running in the morning, and it turns out I might be wrong. Its possible that since I don't eat before I run that my performance is less than it would be otherwise. I ended up running at 6 pm when it was probably 85 deg, but was gradually getting cooler. I thought that it would be harder, but in the morning it starts out cool at 70-80 and eventually gets to be over 80 at the end of the run when I'm at my worst. I also didn't think that I would make it 11 miles without stopping.

So....don't be afraid to do something new every so often. Its actually important as you can get used to the same routine and not get as much benefit out of the same run. If you change up your speed/course/distance every so often you are forcing your body to adapt. Also, changing the time of day can give a welcome change of pace. It was nice to be running through neighborhoods where the kids were all out playing basketball or riding bikes or to run past families riding with little kids or out washing cars.

See you all tomorrow night at Lincoln Park.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home